This Cornbread Sausage Stuffing Recipe with Apples and Pecans is perfect to give your Thanksgiving dinner a unique twist. You could actually make this as a side dish for any special occasion. Who know’s this could be a new Thanksgiving tradition in your home. How do you dress up your stuffing?
- • Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- • 2 (6 oz.) pkgs. Martha White® Cotton Country® Buttermilk Cornbread Mix, prepared according to package directions or 2 (6 oz.) pkgs. Martha White® Buttermilk Cornbread & Muffin Mix, **
- • 2 cups crumbled biscuits** or toasted bread cubes
- • 1/2 lb. bulk pork sausage
- • 1 cup chopped celery
- • 1/2 cup chopped onions
- • 1 1/2 cups chopped unpeeled Granny Smith apples
- • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans*
- • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- • 1 1/2 tsps. dried sage leaves
- • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- • 1/2 tsp. pepper
- • 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1. HEAT oven to 375°F. Spray a shallow 2 1/2-quart baking dish or pan with no-stick cooking spray. Coarsely crumble prepared cornbread in large bowl. Add crumbled biscuits.
- 2. COOK sausage, celery and onions in large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3. ADD sausage mixture and all remaining ingredients to cornbread and biscuits. Mix well, stirring gently so cornbread does not crumble completely. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- 4. BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- TIP*To toast pecans: Place pecans in dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned.
- TIP ** For best results use day old cornbread and biscuits