Last time I was at the store my daughter (the picky eater) begged and begged for apples. I was happy that she wanted a healthy snack, so I bought a whole bag! Well turns out she just wanted to re-enact Snow White. So I have a bag full of apples each with one bite missing. I had to think of something to do with them quick! Here’s my first ever Apple Crisp. And I must say it was delicious! It was pretty easy to make too. I made the crisp topping ahead of time and stuck it in the fridge. Top it with vanilla ice cream and caramel syrup and it’s a perfect summer time dessert!
I actually halved this recipe, like I said I’ve got some picky eaters! It still turned out great!
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 pounds large Granny Smith apples, peeled, halved, cored, each half cut into 6 slices (I cut mine in smaller pieces, I also used another type of apple because that's what I had!)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Mix oats, sugar, and flour in bowl. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until topping comes together in moist clumps. I cut mine in with 2 butter knifes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Mix apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sugar in bowl. Transfer to greased dish. Sprinkle topping over.
- Bake crumble until apples are tender and topping is brown and crisp, about 55 minutes. Cool slightly. Spoon warm crumble into bowls. Serve with ice cream.